Timetable for Preparing To Enter Professional Schools
*This timetable is excerpted from the Pre-Health handbook. Pre - Health handbook
- Choose an Academic Major.
- Work closely with your professors and academic advisors!
- Your professors need to get to know you well so that they will be able to write valid letters of evaluation for you. Get to know them- Interact with them.
- Take the beginning Biology and Chemistry Courses required by Health Professions Schools.
- Identify the course requirements for entry to Health Careers of interest to you and decide how best to fit them into your long term schedule of courses.
- Organic Chemistry and Physics must be completed before taking the MCAT in April of the Junior Year.
- Take one or both of these courses in your Sophomore year.
- Work or volunteer part time in the summer at a health related facility to learn if you are suited to the field, and to acquaint yourself with what is required of professionals in medical fields.
- Join scientific and/or service organizations on campus and/or in the community to develop interpersonal skills. Health fields are PEOPLE ORIENTED.
- Contact the HPB chair to arrange for faculty recommendations to professional schools in early November.
- Submit completed applications for LUHPB’s recommendation - March 15, 2015
- Prepare for the professional school admissions exam by taking a review course or completing your own in depth review for the test.
- Register for and take the MCAT in the spring semester.
- Complete AMCAS and other application forms.
- Apply to the Health Professional Schools beginning June 1, 2015 for Fall 2016 admission.
- Submit secondary applications to medical schools.
- Applications to Health Professions Schools continue.
- Prepare well and practice for interviews held at health professions schools for student applicants.
- Visit the admissions directors of schools of interest to establish a personal bond with them.
For more information, see your major advisor.
Pre-Health Board Committee Members 2014 - 2015
Lynn Vogel Koplitz, Ph.D., Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, Chemistry
Ed McClellan, Ph.D., email@example.com, College of Music and Fine Arts,