The Latin American Studies program fosters an understanding and appreciation of Latin American culture, society, and history through a Bachelor of Arts in Languages & Cultures with a concentration in Latin American Studies or through an interdisciplinary minor in Latin American Studies. Students can tailor the concentration or minor to focus on their specific interests and future professional goals, such as one region (say Cono Sur), or on specific aspects of Latin America. The program is designed to provide the student with the flexibility to take classes in a wide variety of disciplines such as Mass Communication, Sociology, History, Religious Studies, Spanish and Biology, in addition to specific Latin American Studies courses.
In addition, the requirements for this concentration depend on each student’s individual level of Spanish language upon entering the program. Language testing will determine placement, and students new to Spanish will have to achieve three years of Spanish language proficiency to complete the program (equivalent to completion of SPAN A301). Students with a higher level of Spanish proficiency entering the program will have additional elective courses within this concentration.
The concentration in Latin American Studies requires completion of 34 credit hours that include Spanish language courses, culture courses, 15 credit hours of major electives, and completion of a Latin American Studies Capstone course, LAS A480. Students who test out of Spanish language requirements complete additional major electives.
Spanish Language Section*
- SPAN A200 Second-year Spanish I
- SPAN A201 Second-year Spanish II
- SPAN A300 Syntax and Composition
- SPAN A301 Intensive Conversation
Culture Section – choose 2 of the following courses:
- LAS V200 Introduction to Latin American Culture
- HIST A220 Latin America I
- HIST A221 Modern Latin America
- SPAN A350 Spanish American Culture I
- SPAN A351 Spanish American Culture II
Major Electives – Choose 15 crs. of LAS-eligible courses from 3 different disciplines:
- Latin American Studies
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- LAS A480 Latin American Studies Capstone
* Prerequisites for SPAN 200 cannot count for major concentration credit.
Latin American Studies Course Information
Find out more about the Latin American Studies Major:
- Curriculum Requirements
- Curriculum Requirements By Entering Year
- Latin American Studies Course Descriptions