The undergraduate program in biology provides an outstanding modern science education with required courses in biology (34 hours), chemistry (16 hours), physics (8 hours), calculus (4 hours), and an additional mathematics or statistics course. In addition to these science experiences, the program stresses a liberal arts education in which non-science courses make up approximately half of the curriculum. Thus, biology graduates are prepared to compete in the best graduate and professional programs in the country and abroad. This course of study provides excellent support for students pursuing health professional careers, including medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, optometry, podiatry, nursing, and related areas. The breadth of educational experiences offered by the program provides the foundation for diverse career opportunities in the life sciences–from health and human services to the environment, to basic and applied research in molecular genetics, virology, cancer biology, developmental biology, botany, ecology and evolutionary biology, marine biology, microbiology, physiology, and zoology.
All majors are expected to complete the biology core courses during their first two years. These courses present the fundamental concepts of the biological sciences through lectures, discussions, field experiences, and investigativelaboratories. Upon completing the biology core courses, students are prepared to enroll in biology elective courses.
- BIOL A100 Biology Freshman Seminar
- BIOL A106 Cells & Heredity – Lec
- BIOL A107 Cells & Heredity – Lab
- BIOL A108 Biology of Organisms – Lec
- BIOL A109 Biology of Organisms – Lab
- BIOL A208 Ecology & Evolution – Lecture
- Plus 22 credits of biology electives
- CHEM A300 Organic Chemistry I – Lec
- CHEM A305 Organic Chemistry I – Lab
- CHEM A301 Organic Chemistry II – Lec
- MATH A258 or MATH A260/A261
- PHYS A115 Physics for Life Sciences
- PHYS A112 Physics Lab I
- PHYS A116 Physics for Life Sciences II
- PHYS A113 Physics Lab II
- Plus 16 credits of general electives
The remainder of the courses required for the major are biology electives (a minimum of 22 hours) which the students select according to their interests. Students are encouraged to conduct original research under the supervision of a faculty member for which they may receive elective course credit (6 credit hours).
Biology Course Information
Find out more about the biology major: